Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Art: It's a dangerous business!

Eeee, I can't believe it has been a MONTH since my last entry, gahhhah! I got swamped with art assignment. Which is a good thing! But also, YOWZA, what a tight deadline-- I got given one month to get it all done! ...Er, which is the same time for which I did not blog-- non-coincidentally, I think! :)

Art is not an easy profession. You sit on your butt for HOURS on end staring into a computer (HOW is this different from blogging, again? :D), obsessing over tiny details (perfect job for me), and toward the end of the project I was putting in 18-hour days, and one twenty-hour day. The latter broke my brain a bit, but I'm recovering, mainly with the ol' "hair o' the dog" cure, meaning coffee and lots of it. (Am I the only one who drinks hot coffee in this weather? According to the baristas in my neighborhood, yes. Yes, I am.) Coffee used to make my hands shake so that I couldn't ink when I'd had too much. I solved that problem by replacing all my blood with coffee and just drinking hemoglobin now and again! (Why, yes, I AM still a bit punchy from my long sleepless week, why do you ask?)

Do not ask me how much my pay for such projects typically translates into hourly earnings. No, really. Don't ask. I don't want to weep. No, we artists, especially in the gaming industry, definitely do it for the love. Of sitting on our butts for hours on end staring into a computer. Which is something I believe everyone here can relate to. HA-cha-cha!!!

Best of all, my contract for this set of pieces has me under a non-disclosure agreement forbidding me to talk specifically about the project for five years from date of signature! This amuses me greatly, as to the best of my knowledge, the book is due for release in AUGUST. Ahhhhh, gotta love lawyers! :)

I haven't had much skepticky content on the blog lately, though while I did the art, I listened obsessively to the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe podcasts! Wherein I learned that sitting still for many hours on end, such as on long plane flights or, I dunno, staring at a computer for hours on end, may put one at higher risk for blood clots, yay! (Here's the press release for the actual research.)

The best thing I took away from this month's listening?-- Get up and stretch, or at least flex your calves. :)

5 comments:

intrinsicallyknotted said...

Could be worse. At least when you're staring at the computer for hours on end, you have a pretty picture to look at. You could be scouring a thousand lines of code for that one misplaced semicolon!

Quirky Mom said...

Hi! Welcome back. I've not been around much either, but it's nice to see you still. :)

Perky Skeptic said...

Intrinsicallyknotted-- LOL! Except when you're drawing the picture, all you see are the horrifying misplaced lines that make you want to claw your own eyes out, that of course nobody else notices, for which I'm glad I have WH around to ask, "AAAAAH, does this make you want to CLAW YOUR OWN EYES OUT with the AWFULNESS???" and if he says no, I know I need to take a break. ;)

I imagine the eye-bleed factor with computer art and coding to be more similar than many people think. I, for one, find code to be very beautiful! But then, I'm not a coder. I might think differently if I were the one searching for that semicolon! ;)

Quirky Mom-- Hi, you! Glad to see you, too. :) Hope all is well!

Thanks for still reading, you two! :) I'll try not to be such a stranger!

CyberLizard said...

Good to have you back! The scary thing was that I totally followed that narrative.

You should get on Twitter, it's perfect for filling in those bloggy absences!

Perky Skeptic said...

Cyberlizard-- LOL, that *is* scary! You should probably be locked up, along with the rest of us artists and coders. XD

I am... resistant to Twitter. I just... feel like it will be one more thing for me to obsess over. ;) I will probably succumb to the temptation, though, one of these days!